Saturday, February 9, 2013

Daiso Detergent for Puff & Sponge

Today, I present to you one of the most highly coveted brush cleaners in the makeup world: the Daiso Detergent for Puff & Sponge.

Finding an effective way to clean your makeup tools is almost as important as possessing the right ones. If you don't clean them properly, you may as well be placing your brushes in an entire culture of bacteria and letting them infest your brushes overnight.

Not a pleasant thought, right?

That's exactly what happens if you don't clean your brushes, especially those with liquid products. Poor cleaning means a poor face, promoting pimples and those other nasties. Poor cleaning is less harmful, but if you're going to dedicate the time, then you may as well do it properly.

Plus, I think cleaning brushes is quite therapeutic. Actually, that's a lie. It really depends. Before I bought the Puff & Sponge, it took me so long to clean my foundation brushes. I was really hesitant to use them after that, because I couldn't be bothered cleaning. And that, my friend, is the problem.

Since the Puff & Sponge entered my life, this lack of bother is no longer a barrier between me and my perfectly cleaned brushes. Seriously.



As if I could get any more stereotypically Asian, I opt for a Japanese detergent with 本当に可愛い (hontoni kawaii) packaging. Oh well. It does the job, and super well, I might add.

This is definitely my favourite foundation brush cleaner. Now, how to use?

What you're going to need:
  • Daiso Detergent for Puff & Sponge
  • A bowl or little container - I like to use an empty face/eye cream container. My mum has heaps. Problem solved.
  • Water
  • A dirty brush

NOTE: ONLY USE SYNTHETIC BRUSHES. THIS PRODUCT IS DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDED ON MAKEUP BRUSHES WITH ANY SORT OF NATURAL HAIR.

Basically, my rule is that I only put products on brushes with natural hair that I would use on my own hair. Would I put the Puff & Sponge on my hair? Absolutely not.


The brush in this post is just a foundation brush that I got from Korea. I used it before I bought my MAC 190. I would have used the MAC brush in this tutorial because it's a lot harder to clean and so.. more impressive to show you guys, but unfortunately I cleaned it the day before. Oh, so unfortunate.

As you can see, the brush is pretty dirty. I put extra foundation on it, just to dirty it up even more.


The bottle of detergent looks really small, right? Right. However, the payoff is that it's really strong and you only need a couple of drops of product every time you want to deep clean your brushes. Literally only a few drops. I like using the same container to clean my brushes because I can gauge automatically how much detergent and water to use.


Then, place your brush into the water. Be very careful, trying not to get any of the solution up the ferrule (metal part) of the brush. Sit the brush still and soak it for 5-10 seconds before swirling it around. Continue until the water becomes completely opaque. Lift up your brush every few seconds when you're swirling it, just to see how much foundation is left on the brush.

You may not be able to remove absolutely everything, but it'll be pretty close. Also check towards the middle of the brush, because foundation often gets lodged due to the lack of contact between the detergent and the brush.





Considering I haven't rinsed off the brush, I'd say this is pretty good. Then I rinse.

I wasn't expecting everything to be removed since I used a very small amount of detergent. I never like just using the Puff & Sponge on its own. I also use a 2 in 1 shampoo & conditioner to do a final wash and condition the brushes. It works wonders. I love the smell too.



And this is the finished product! Completely foundation and hassle-free.

If you're lucky enough to have a Daiso store near you, I believe it's around $2. Give or take $1. More on the give side, actually. However, if you're like me and live in another state of Australia, then your options are either to beg someone near a Daiso store to splurge that extravagance and send you a bottle.. or two.. or three, or to order it off eBay. Next time, I will be going for the former option. For sure.

I don't know what else to say about this product except that it's amazing at removing foundation. Remember, synthetic brushes only!

Lots of love. <3

1 comment:

  1. Hahah I went to Daiso, saw the bottle and had to buy one to try it out myself since you recommended it. So here I'm standing before me is bottles and bottles of them :p

    Diana

    ReplyDelete